One of the best ways of protecting your web activity is to use a VPN. However, a lot of people are not familiar with what it is and how it helps when traveling. This article will provide all the necessary details to make sure your tour to foreign destinations like Rome are safe. Read on to find out more about what VPN is and how it can serve you while traveling.
What is a VPN?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and it is exactly what you think. VPNs comprise of multiple private servers scattered around the world to that encrypt all the data flowing through them. Users connect to these servers and then all their traffic goes through these servers which encrypt them and send them forward to the target site. This allows the user to have a protective layer between themselves and the internet. Given how many ways people try to snoop around for personal information, this barrier can make sure that your identity never gets revealed to anyone without your permission.
Why Use a VPN While Traveling?
There can be several different reasons why you may want to use a VPN while traveling. Some of the most common reasons include the following:
- Information Security: As discussed earlier, the biggest reason for using VPN is always your privacy. This is especially important if you are in a different country and on your own. Having a way to make sure that none of your sensitive data is accessible online is very important. VPN can help you create an extra layer of security between your personal information and hackers/spammers.
- Bank Access: A lot of times, when you are traveling to foreign countries, your bank can block your access. This is because they want to keep your information secure and hack-proof. So, you may want to use a VPN to connect to your bank from a home country server. This way the bank will assume that you are still in your country and let you access your account. You could tell the bank in advance about traveling but that doesn’t always work.
- Censorship Bypass: A lot of countries have their own parameters when it comes to different types of services. If you want to make sure that the services you use in your country are still accessible abroad, a VPN is what you need. It can help you connect to the service by rerouting your data, so you don’t have any trouble accessing services/sites.
For people traveling to Rome, Surfshark can be a great app to use as it provides great coverage in Italy. We wish you a safe traveling experience.
Drawbacks of VPN
There aren’t really any drawbacks to VPNs that should stop you from using them. However, you may want to consider some things that can hold you back, especially on free VPNs.
- Slow Speeds: The biggest drawback of a VPN is that it causes a drop in your internet speed. With your data going through multiple sources, it increases the time for each data packet to arrive. This is especially noticeable with free accounts.
- Does Not Cover All Countries: VPNs are only as good as the coverage they provide. Even the best VPN services don’t have a global presence. You must do a lot of research to find out what service works in your desired region e.g. Italy.
Service Blockages: Using VPNs can stop you from using some popular services too. Netflix automatically detects if a user is connected via a VPN and stops working immediately.
Depending on where you are traveling, you are usually able to find some great options for VPN.