Michelangelo & The Medici Private Tour (up to 8 people)
DURATION: 4 hours
DEPARTURE TIME: 9am
FREQUENCY: Every day, excluding Sunday & Monday
LANGUAGES: English, Italian
MEETING POINT: Via Ricasoli, 105
The cost of the tour is fixed and does not depend on the number of people (up to 8) or the ages of children or adults in your party. Only €48 will be paid online, the remaining payment of €192 must be made on the day of the walking tour. The cost of the tickets are not included included in this price.
No family has influenced the development of Florence more than the Medici. Not only did they make their mark on the architecture and monuments throughout the city, it was their patronage that set a young Michelangelo on the path to greatness. On this tour, you’ll trace the history of both Michelangelo and the Medici with skip the line entry to the Accademia to see David, the Medici Chapels and Michelangelo’s “essay on architecture,” his tomb in Santa Croce church and more.
- Tour Itinerary
- Please note
- Reviews (1)
Michelangelo & The Medici Private Tour Highlights
No family has influenced the development of Florence more than the Medici. Not only did they make their mark on the architecture and monuments throughout the city, it was their patronage that gave a young Michelangelo a step up in the social and artistic world of 15th century Florence and set him on a path of greatness. On this tour, you’ll trace the history of both Michelangelo and the Medici and how they influenced Florence in the art they left behind.
Start by skipping the line at the Accademia to see one of the most famous statues in the world: Michelangelo’s David. The political history of Florence and the individual determination of the artist himself are wrapped up in this exquisite piece that has embodied the soul of the city for over 500 years.
Next, skip the line at the Medici Chapels, perhaps the greatest hidden gem of Florence that contrasts the show-stopping prince chapels of the grand dukes with the artistic majesty of the New Sacristy, known as Michelangelo’s “Essay on architecture.” His statues Day, Night, Dusk and Dawn reveal the transformations of the artist since he sculpted the David.
Walking through the courtyards of the palazzo Medici Riccardi and the Palazzo Vecchio we’ll trace the upward mobility of the Medici who started as bankers and ended as grand dukes of Tuscany. The walk across town reveals innumerable anecdotes such as the disastrous Pazzi conspiracy against Lorenzo de Medici which centered around the cathedral and how Ghiberti’s style on the Gates of Paradise may have influenced a young Michelangelo.
The tour ends with entry into one of the city’s most famous churches: the imposing Santa Croce and the tomb of Michelangelo himself, paid for by, of course, none other than the Medici family. As this is a private tour, your guide can adapt their storytelling to your group based on your interests.
- Your guide will meet you in front of the bookshop on Via Ricasoli, 105 that is roughly across from the street to the entrance of the Accademia Gallery. They will be holding a sign with “Romeing” written on it.
- The cost of the tour is fixed and does not depend on the number of people (up to 8) or the ages of children or adults in your party. Only €48 will be paid online, the remaining payment of €192 must be made on the day of the walking tour.
- Your guide will reserve skip the line access into the Accademia but the price of the tickets to the Gallery, the Medici Chapels and Santa Croce is NOT included in the tour price.
- An adult can expect to pay €36 in total for tickets. Children can expect to pay between €7 and €15 each depending on ages (see ticket price details below)
- Ticket prices at the Accademia are €16 per adult and €4 per child (these both include the €4 reservation fee) *To qualify for reduced price tickets, under 18 year olds must produce photo ID with a date of birth
- Ticket prices at the Medici Chapels are €12 per adult and €5 per young adult (from 18-25 years old) and €3 for children under 18 years old. *To qualify for reduced price tickets, under 25 year olds must produce photo ID with a date of birth
- Ticket prices at Santa Croce are €8 per adult, €6 per child 12-17 years old, free for children under 12 years old. *To qualify for reduced price tickets, under 18 year olds must produce photo ID with a date of birth
- The Accademia may require the rental of headsets within the museum so you can hear your guide. These are an additional cost not included in the tour cost and are €1.50 per person. Whether or not they are required depends on the changing rules of the Gallery itself, not on your guide.
- Be prepared to go through security at the Accademia Gallery and Medici Chapels. No large backpacking backpacks, pocketknives, etc. Small backpacks and bags are acceptable.
- It is possible to do this tour with either strollers or wheelchairs, though keep in mind much of Florence is paved with wide cobblestones.
- It’s advised to wear comfortable walking shoes as you will be standing or walking for most of the tour.
- Full refund when the cancellation occurs 7 days before the tour
- no refund for a cancellation that occurs after that