Day Trip To Pompeii And Positano from Rome (for party of 1 to 7 people) (7.30am)
DURATION: 11 hours
DEPARTURE TIME: 7.30am
FREQUENCY: every day except weekends in August
LANGUAGES: English and Italian
MEETING POINT: Hotel lobby or Apartment street level
*Please note that the price of this tour is fixed and does not depend on the number of people in your party (max 7 people).
The day trip from Rome to Pompeii & Positano combines an archeological area full of history with the beautiful landscape of the Amalfi coast all in one day. Explore the remains of Pompeii, the resort town in the South of Naples destroyed by the ashes of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD, with a local guide. Afterwards we will drive to Positano, admiring the scenic view of the Amalfi Coast and stopping for lunch before heading back to Rome.
- Tour Itinerary
- Please note
- Reviews (4)
Day Trip to Pompeii and Positano from Rome Highlights
Day Trip to Pompeii and Positano from Rome Inclusions
Pictures and paintings cannot do justice to this incredible part of Italy. Pompeii, only a few hours from Rome by car, is an ancient city frozen in time and preserved as one gigantic archeological site. Once in Pompeii, a local walking guide will take you through the ruins on your 2-hour tour. You will discuss more than 2,000 years of history where you can walk over ruts and paths hewn in the stone by thousands of feet and wagons from times gone by. Or, if you prefer, you can spend these 2 hours exploring the coastal towns with your driver guide instead. This option allows you time to see another town or is perfect if you want to spend some time soaking up the sun or dipping your toes in at the beach. You can also exchange Herculaneum for Pompeii if you'd like. Please let us know if you are interested in either of these options so that we can arrange your day appropriately.
This day also includes a drive overlooking the bay of Sorrento as we head to the Amalfi Coast finally ending in Positano, one of the pearls of the Mediterranean. We will be sure to make time for some photo stops as we go. Positano was made famous by the movie “Under the Tuscan Sun”. If you prefer to have an amazing lunch "in the clouds" request La Tagliata* for the most incredible views of all of Positano and the coast below. Here you will taste a perfect sampling of the area's cuisine, homemade from ingredients grown on site. If instead you prefer to eat down by the sea, request lunch at the charming Chez Black* where you can try their house specialty, “Spaghetti al Riccio”, or other fresh seafood options. An exceptional dessert, not to be missed, is “La Delizia al Limone”. After lunch we’ll sample some of Chez Black’s homemade “Limoncello”, possibly the best that you’ll ever taste in your life. Time allowing, you can take in a little shopping in the village, walk down streets where cars are not allowed or take a stroll on the beach with its fantastic views of Positano’s cliffs and terraces.
At the end of the day, we will drive you back to your hotel in Rome, leaving at about 4.30pm, and you will take with you many wonderful memories of your day in this amazing part of Italy.
Pompeii 2-hour walking tour (usually at 10.30am)
Pompeii used to be a resort town in the South of Naples, located on the western coast of Italy. Many wealthy Romans had "country homes" there. On a fateful summer's day in 79 AD, Mt Vesuvius erupted, spewing volcanic ash and lapilli (a small, lightweight pebbly material) over the village of Pompeii. At its largest, Pompeii had a population of approximately 20,000 people. Most people fled the eruption but an estimated 2000 people did not and died from toxic gasses or were buried in the eruption along with the city. Lasting for almost a full day, Pompeii was buried under some 25 feet of volcanic material.
While Pompeii remained in the local's memories, as time passed its location was lost. Rediscovered in the 1700s. Excavation was started, but not until the mid 1800s was there meticulous recording of the discoveries. Amazingly preserved by the lapilli and ash, much information from Pompeii has been regained. Almost 2,000 years later, you have the opportunity to explore the preserved ruins of this famous disaster.
- Please note that the price of this tour is fixed and does not depend on the number of people in your party (max 7 people).
- There are no discounts for children as the price of the tour is fixed and doesn't depend on the number of people in your group.
- This tour starts from and returns to your local Rome area hotel.
- Choose this tour only if you are based in a local Rome area hotel. If your hotel is located on the Amalfi coast let us know that and we can set you up with our Naples based team.
- The order of this day, may be reversed based on traffic or guide availability and will be decided by the driver guide on the day of the tour.
- The approximate length of the day is 11-12 hours and the drive is about 3 hours from Rome.
- Please note that we do not offer this tour on weekends from May to October because of the increased traffic in the area and not at all in the month of August due to vacationing Europeans. However, during the off season (November to April) this tour is recommended during weekends as many of the shops and restaurants in the coastal towns will be closed during the week. A visit to Sorrento is recommended instead of Positano if your date falls on a weekday during this period.
- Pompeii is open year round.
- If you prefer more time on the coast rather than doing the 2 hour walking tour in Pompeii OR if you'd like to visit Herculaneum instead of Pompeii for your 2hr walking tour be sure to let us know so that we can make the appropriate arrangements for your tour as we automatically organize it with Pompeii & Postiano.
- In case you just can't get enough, you can add additional time at an hourly rate. Please ask for pricing in this case.
- *Any mention of restaurants or dishes are pure suggestions and not included in the tour cost. Our driver guide will be happy to give you suggestions to suit your tastes and budget.
- Headsets if required based on party size, admissions, lunches and gratuities are not included in the price of the tour.
- Reserved tickets are not available but are to be paid upon entry.
- You will skip the general admission lines with our walking guide.
- Pompeii Admission Prices: New seasonal pricing applies
- The cost of admissions is not included in the cost of the tour.