Ponza Island Day Trip from Rome
DURATION: 13/14 hours
FREQUENCY: Mon – Wed – Fri – Sat (15 June – 15 September)
LANGUAGES: English and Italian
MEETING POINT: In front of Piramide Metro Station
Join us on this wonderful day trip from Rome to an idyllic island paradise, one of Italy’s best-kept secrets. Discover the beauty and mystery of the legendary Pontine Islands while enjoying the sun, sea and swimming.
Contact us if you need a private tour!
- Tour Itinerary
- Please note
- Reviews (9)
Ponza Island Day Trip from Rome Highlights
Day Trip Exclusions
Gorgeous crystal clear blue water, breathtaking views, relaxing ambience… isn’t this what you had in mind when you booked your trip to Italy? While the beaches near Rome are nothing to get excited about – Ponza Island, a tiny, hidden Mediterranean island paradise just a few hours from Rome is everything you imagined and more.
Your day starts early, but you’ll soon be rewarded for the effort. This day trip from Rome kicks off near the Piramide metro stop with a 7:00AM start. Here you’ll meet your expert English-speaking tour leader. After check-in, board an air conditioned transfer to Rome’s nearest port, just an hour ride away in a seaside town called Anzio. Here, we’ll board a comfortable fast ferry to Ponza Island. The cost of the ferry is 50 euro per person and is not included in the tour price. The ferry tickets must be paid at check in. The ride lasts about 1.5 hours, and is a great moment to catch a brief snooze in preparation for the adventurous day ahead.
We’ll arrive in Ponza at approximately 10:15AM and have a brief break to eat breakfast (own expense) or pick up any last minute items or snacks to bring on the next leg of our journey. At 11AM we’ll board an excursion boat with other travellers – for the most part Italian vacationers – and begin our circumnavigation of the entire island. Our expert captain, a local Ponzan, will adjust our itinerary according to the wind and waves to get the most out of our day and stick to the calmest waters where we’ll be most comfortable.
Looking for a more exclusive experience? Book the small group upgrade to guarantee a boat excursion with no more than 12 lucky participants.
The 5 hour boat excursion will cover Ponza’s most important sights – hidden coves, spectacular rock formations and a plethora of blue grottoes which, if we’re lucky we’ll even swim inside! You Tour leader is an expert in Ponza’s fascinating history and geology and will translate all commentary make by your Ponzan captain who only speaks Italian. Sights might include the Arco Naturale (Natural Arch), Lucia Rosa’s cove & beach, the Guard’s Light House (one of the oldest and most important in Italy) and Moon Rock Beach – the spectacular and famous “Chiaia di Luna”. We’ll make 4-5 stops for about 30 minutes each time to swim and snorkel at the best stops.
During the trip, our captain and his first mate will prepare a simple and delicious pasta lunch which will be served picnic-style on deck, with water, wine and even a traditional Italian espresso. Pasta not your thing? Make sure you pick up a sandwich or snack in the morning at Ponza’s port.
The boat excursion will conclude at approximately 4PM after which we’ll have an hour of free time to explore Ponza‘s busy, colorful port with its many shops and cafe’s. It’s a great time to grab a gelato or even a flute of prosecco to celebrate a day well spent.
Sad to leave, we’ll board the same fast ferry we took to Ponza back to the port of Anzio where our transfer back to Rome will be waiting for us. We will reach the Piramide metro stop around 8:00-8:30PM.
IMPORTANT – CONFIRMATION REQUIRED:
- Due to the unique nature of this tour, last minute cancellations due to traffic, strikes and weather are possible. If you do NOT hear from us, please consider that your tour WILL be going forward. For all tours canceled due to traffic, strikes or weather an alternative will be offered or a free change of date. Where neither option is possible, a full refund will be offered.
- Cost of round trip ferry tickets must be paid at check-in (with cash or card).
- Due to a strict schedule, late arrivals cannot be accommodated and may not be entitled to a full refund.
- A paying adult must accompany all minors under 18 years of age.
- If you are traveling with young children (0-12), we require that you alert us at the time of your booking so that we can better accommodate you.
- For full enjoyment of the boat tour, you should be able to swim unassisted.
- Those who are prone to motion sickness are encouraged to take precautions before departure.
- We suggestion you bring sun protection (SPF cream, hat, sunglasses etc.), swimsuit, large beach towel and a change of clothes.
- We are unable to accommodate special dietary needs & restrictions. Alternative lunch must be self-provided.
- Infants up to one year of age who do not require their own seat during the transfer and ferry to/from Ponza Island travel for free and do not require a reservation. Please indicate if there are any infants when booking.
- In order to be eligible for a full refund your tour must be modified/canceled no less than 72 hours before your scheduled departure time.
RETURN TIME & LOCATION:
Tour returns to our office around 8pm, depending on itinerary and traffic.
Contact us if you need a private tour!