An itinerary of contemporary art, a dialogue between nature and art
On April 15 and 16, 2023 Rome’s Botanical Garden will host the ancient Japanese celebration of Hanami, to observe the extraordinary blooming of the cherry trees in the Japanese Garden. The 2023 edition of “Hanami at the Botanical Garden” in collaboration with the Institute of Japanese Culture in Rome and the Festival del Verde e del Paesaggio, celebrates the magnificent bloom of the cherry trees that currenlty dominate the Japanese Gardens.
In a free path through exhibitions, guided tours, meetings, workshops, you will be accompanied to discover the symbiotic relationship between Nature and Japanese culture.
Hanami at the Botanical Garden is:
- guided tours of the Japanese garden; the bamboo garden; maple trees
- talks on bonsai, aquatic plants, suiseki
- tea ceremony by the Urasenke Center
- exhibition: “Bonsai and Suiseki: il pensiero della forma” with guided tour
- “Guardare i fiori” exhibition curated by Silvana Mattei – Subrandmaster and featuring teachers and students of the Ikebana Ohara ALU Study Group/Floral Arts Studio with guided tour
- hanami-inspired exhibition paths “HANAMI – Beauty and Sustainability” organized by the Chairs of Fine Arts Sculpture in Rome, Professors Alessandra Porfidia and Patrizia Bisonni
- a series of lectures
- forest bathing
- workshop of shodo, the art of Japanese calligraphy by Kanyukai – Association of Japanese art and culture
- Demonstration of washi paper with the masters Nobushige Akyama
- Traditional, classical, popular Japanese music with Duo Midare
- Workshops, walks, workshops and paper theater performance for children
Click here to find out the full program.
15-16 APRIL 2023
Museo Orto Botanico
Largo Cristina di Svezia 23/A
Entry ticket: €10
A Must-See In Rome: The Botanical Garden