The origins of the Academy of Hungary in Rome trace back to the opening of the papal archives in the late 1800s, when Hungarians were among the first to investigate these documents. In 1928, the grand Palazzo Falconieri was bought by the Minister of Worship of Education, Kunó Klebelsberg, and he began the expansion of the Hungarian culture into Europe.
The new academy thus focused on three degrees of education: historical studies, artistic promotion and theological studies. Currently, the academy is dedicated to studying archives and libraries, working with the Vatican, and collaborating with the Hungarian Academy of Sciences and other local institutions. In their efforts to expand knowledge of Hungarian culture, the academy hosts several exhibitions from Hungarian and Italian artists, conferences, concerts, film projections and more. (See website for full details.)
Istituto Balassi – Accademia d’Ungheria in Roma
Via Giulia, 1 – Palazzo Falconieri