The Dominican Santa Maria Sopra Minerva (13th-century) is the only extant example of original Gothic church building in Rome and it is literally packed with treasures. It is located right next to the Pantheon behind Bernini’s elephant obelisk statue. The Carafa chapel in the far right corner contains frescoes by Filippo Lippi (1489) and below the main altar lie the relics of the famous Saint Catherine of Siena, while the tombs of two Medici popes, Leo X and Clement VII, are in the apse.
To the left is one of Michelangelo’s unfinished works, Christ Bearing the Cross. The head, neck, and arms have been completed by the master but the hips, buttocks, sandals and drapery have clearly been completed by other hands.
Piazza della Minerva, 42 (Pantheon) 7am-1pm, 3:30pm-7pm (weekends open at 8am)
Piazza della Minerva, 42 (Pantheon)
7am-1pm, 3:30pm-7pm (weekends open at 8am)