Summer in Rome’s MAXXI square with art, music, literature, cinema, theater, architecture and many exhibitions
Summer is back at MAXXI, and so is the event with a rich calendar of summer events that will enliven the piazza del Museo in the months of June and July. Also, this year the MAXXI square returns to being a space made at the service of the city, offering a range of events: from art to cinema, books, and music discussions. All events are suitable for satisfying the needs of a varied audience.
A special promotion has also been activated for the entire museum public: by presenting the ticket for a summer event at MAXXI, visitors will be able to have access until August 31st by paying a reduced admission fee to the Museum galleries.
MAXXI proposes a cycle of performances capable of offering an exceptional view of this contemporary art form. There will be a double appointment on Wednesday June 22nd: at 6.30 pm (with reruns on July 13th and September 30th) with Rä di Martino. On the occasion of the What a Wonderful World exhibition, the artist has created a performance in which, inspired by the work on display, two singers create a musical dialogue with each other with the news of April 25th, 2022, a reflection on the passage of time and the bombing of news that we suffer. On the same date, Harun Morrison presents Nothing special, a text composed of 365 statements that outline scenarios of everyday life.
On Tuesday June 28th, tHIGHER xt. will take place by Michele Rizzo: the dance facilitates states of flow, wholeness and transcendence by emphasizing the connection between dance and para-religious practices. Finally, on July 6th the public will be able to attend Ivan Cheng’s Reception (standard dare). The reception is the most enjoyable part of the wedding day and is also a word used for radio signals.
The evenings outdoors in front of the big screen are back with the tenth edition of Cinema at MAXXI, produced in co-production with the Fondazione Cinema per Roma. The program, curated by Mario Sesti, develops around two formats: Extra Explore (a selection of the most surprising and innovative Italian cinema) and Video Essay Film Festival (VEFF), dedicated to new forms of film criticism. Below is the program of screenings:
- Thursday 30 June (9.00 pm): Il buco by Michelangelo Frammartino, Special Jury Prize at the Venice Film Festival. The director will be present at the screening
- Thursday 7 July (9.00 pm): Me and Spotty by Cosimo Gomez, produced by Manetti Bros
- Thursday 14 July (9.00 pm): A Chiara by Jonas Carpignano; the film will be presented by its main interpreter, Swamy Rotolo, winner of the David di Donatello as best actress for this role
- Thursday 21 July (9.00 pm): Piccolo Corpo, winner of the David di Donatello as best first work by Laura Samani
- Thursday 28 July (9.00 pm): Atlantide by Yuri Ancarani, one of the most original films of recent years.
- Video Essay Film Festival (VEFF), curated by Andrea Minuz and Mario Sesti, will once again award the best video essays this year, with a special section dedicated to Pier Paolo Pasolini on the hundredth anniversary of his birth. All the selected essay videos will be screened in an evening event with the public, authors, and jurors on Tuesday 5 July at 9.00 pm in the MAXXI square.
Summer of tributes to Maxxi: three evenings dedicated to Lucio Dalla, Pino Daniele and Franco Battiato. All concerts will then be available exclusively for free on the streaming platform dedicated to the wonders of Italian art and culture.
It starts on July 19th with Lucio Dalla; the director Pupi Avati and the singer-songwriter Pierdavide Carone will talk about their relationship with Lucio Dalla, through testimonies and anecdotes ranging from his beginnings to his celebrity. A double musical tribute will follow: Roberta Giallo, an artist of whom Dalla was a mentor and friend, and the jazz interpretations of Stefano Di Battista and Nicky Nicolai.
July 26th is the time to celebrate Pino Daniele . Luciano Viti, Daniele’s historic photographer, will tell the story of the man and the artist. On stage with him there will be Alessandro Daniele, son of the Neapolitan singer-songwriter. After the talk, Fabrizio Bosso and Julian Mazzariello will reinterpret some of the songwriter’s famous songs in an original production for Summer at MAXXI.
One year after his death on Wednesday July 27th, MAXXI is dedicating a tribute to Franco Battiato; the photographer Giovanni Canitano, expert in the field of musical photography, and Giovanni Caccamo, Sicilian singer discovered by Franco Battiato, and Stefano Senardi, music historian of the author of La voce del padrone, will go up on the summer stage at MAXXI to tell the story life and music of the Sicilian artist. Following, the compositions of Battiato declined in an unprecedented way to the voice of Maria Pia De Vito, and accompanied by Giacomo Ancillotto, Matteo Bortone and Michele Rabbia.
The talks dedicated to books feature the meeting between Dacia Maraini and Marco Belpoliti on Tuesday June 21st Starting with their last two books, they confront each other as exceptional readers. Belpoliti in Pasolini and the double of him creates an artistic and human tale of Pasolini, while Maraini in Caro Pier Paolo weaves an intimate and sincere dialogue capable of prolonging and reviving a deep affection. On July 12th, however, Maria Luisa Frisa, author of Le forme della moda with Michela Murgia and Paola Ugolini will be on stage to discuss fashion at 360 degrees, from the world of work to that of communication.
Special Events and Exhibitions
The meetings linked to the exhibitions in progress at Maxxi are highlighted: on June 21st there will be a talk with Mario Botta, Claudio Strinati and Fulvio Irace, a special event of the Mario Botta exhibition. Sacred and profane; on this occasion the exhibition catalog will be presented. The special event dedicated to the Gianni Berengo Gardin exhibition will take place on June 22nd The eye as a profession. The great photographer will talk with Alessandra Mauro and Margherita Guccione.
The exhibitions in progress at MAXXI:
– Sebastião Salgado: Amazônia , until August 21st, 2022
– Gianni Berengo Gardin: The eyes as vocation , until September 18th, 2022
– Daido Moriyama with Shomei Tomatsu: TOKYO REVISITED , until October 16th, 2022
– BUONE NUOVE. Donne in Architettura, until September 11th, 2022
– Mario Botta Sacred and profane, until September 4th, 2022
From June 16th to July 28th
Via Guido Reni, 4/a
Ticket: free admission / € 5-10-15 depending on the events scheduled
Tickets can be purchased online on maxxi.vivaticket.it