Giggetto Hostaria since 1923 at Rome’s Jewish Quarter
Few people know that a fair portion of traditional Roman cuisine has origins in the Jewish Roman culture. Giggetto al Portico D’Ottavia, one of the oldest and most historic Roman restaurants (1923), takes pride of place right by the ancient Portico di Ottavia originally built by Emporer Augustus. The restaurant occupies a now desirable part of town on one of the few remaining original streets of the Jewish Ghetto in Rome.
A family restaurant, now in its third generation with owner and grandson Claudio Ceccarelli, Giggetto al Portico is legendary for its traditional carciofi alla giudia, a whole artichoke head deep fried (nothing is wasted this way). The atmosphere is friendly and bustling, where the owners keep the idea of the traditional Roman taverna alive.
The dishes are abundant and apart from their famous artichokes they also have staple italian favourites such as a divine carbonara or a devilishly rich cacio e pepe. The position of the restaurant is also perfect for an evening stroll afterwards amid such history and beauty that abounds in the Jewish Quarter in Rome.
Via del Portico D’Ottavia 21/a-22 (Jewish Ghetto)
Open Tues-Sun 12.30-3pm, 7pm-11pm